Owning your own home business can be fun and exciting but it also can be draining. If you work from home, especially if you are new, you may find that you are so busy you forget to just be. You forget to do the things you love that don’t involve your computer/business. You forget to eat sometimes and other times all you want to do is eat.
If you are not careful you will forget why you wanted to own a home business in the first place and it becomes more of a chore and less fun and you may feel you have less freedom than when you started. Below are a few ideas to help you bring the joy back into your work from home life.
1. Stop working– Sounds easy doesn’t it, even obvious, but it’s not always easy. Sometimes you may find it hard to tear yourself away for a little while even when what you’re doing is not as productive as you would like it to be and often that is why you can’t, but should, get away for a bit. You feel guilty when your not working because when you are you’re often distracted. So stop and go watch a movie with your family, go grab some dinner out with friends.
2. Read- You may be a leader or mentor but don’t forget you will always be a student. If you’re not constantly adding to the knowledge you have your mind will become stagnant. As humans we have a natural hunger to be more, to do more and to know more. The more you know the more you grow.
3. Change your perception- In my opinion perception one of the most important things to work on. How you look at a situation determines exactly what you are going to do to grow it, live with it or get rid of it. If you look at your current situation and think you’re going to fail, you are much more likely to do so. If you look at the same situation but immediately decide you will overcome and persevere you will consciously and subconsciously do everything that is needed to succeed instead. You will find a way.
4. Create a goal list- Create a list of daily goals and a list of long-term goals and look at these every day! Keep your mind focused on where you want to be in a positive way, focused and determined. As you tick off these goals you will feel a real sense of accomplishment that will keep you excited about your home business and growing.
5. Meditate- Meditation calms the mind and helps keep things in proper perspective and people often report getting some of their best ideas during meditation.
6. Do something you love- Do you love to golf, hit the beach, arts an crafts? Take some time to do it. If you keep skipping the things you love, you may become subconsciously bitter. If you do those things from time to time, you will feel better about what you are doing
7. Take a vacation- If you really want to refresh your mind and body, take some time to go out and visit your favorite vacation spots. Go camping or to the beach or any other favorite you have. You will come back refreshed and ready to roll.
8. Step outside- Just for a few minutes, notice the colors of the flowers, the sky and the trees. Listen to the sounds of traffic, crickets, and people laughing. some home business owners rarely get outside for any real period of time and I am not talking about the grocery store! Work from someplace else! You have a mobile business now.
9. Help someone else- One of the fastest ways to feel joy is to help someone else, just to help them. No gain, no accolades. There is just some naturally human about the happiness we feel when we can help someone else out and surprisingly enough this feeling still exists when you help someone you are not so fond of. So in the meantime you may repair old bitter feelings on both sides!
10. Get together with people who share your vision- There is nothing as motivating as being around people with the same or similar vision that you have. You motivate each other and become accountable to the group. Becoming accountable to someone (just like in a J.O.B. you are accountable to your boss), makes you get more done.
11. Conquer a fear- What are you afraid of? Not the big things, the little things. Are you afraid to start up new conversations with strangers on Facebook so you wait for people to come to you? Are you afraid to do video because you might say the wrong things. Maybe you’re afraid to start a blog because you have no idea what to say. Take one of your fears and go do it then do it again and again. You will conquer that fear. You are likely even to become really good at it.
12. Exercise- This one is more for me but I am sure some of ya’ll can relate. Exercise makes you feel good. your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, happy happy, joy, joy! So it’s hard to start but once you get in the habit it will be hard to stop. I have even noticed a reduction in sinus problems when I exercise.
13. Rededicate yourself to your home business- if you have lost your drive a bit, remember why you are doing this. Remember your vision and where you want to be, what you want to teach your children and that God made you special. He made you to make a difference! Take out those goals and study them. You can even meditate on them.
14. Forgive yourself daily- Many people carry around a lot of guilt and that guilt will do a lot to the psyche. It can actually stop you from doing the things you need to do to be successful. It can cause you to sabotage your own actions. If you have done what you need to do, apologized or asked for forgiveness from wherever that guilt is coming from it is helping no one to continue to feel guilty so forgive yourself so that you can move on.
15. Forgive others- This is a big one and can be hard to do. Your bitter feelings whether they are validated or not, do nothing to help you in your life and they usually do not hurt the person you are angry at. They can be detrimental even. Let go of the ego and let go of the anger. Forgive others because even when you are not thinking about it not forgiving can be robbing you of your joy.
This is just a small list of things you can do to bring joy back to you and your home business. You probably have some of your own ideas that will help to do this in your own life. Use those. Life is short. Your home business is your dream, you can and should make it happen.